NEW CASTLE POST OFFICE
In early provincial occasions most correspondence occurred between the pilgrims and England. The King’s specialists would peruse and scour the majority of the data and mail that was being sent. Correspondence between the provinces relied upon confided in companions, shippers, or cordial Native Americans.
in downtown Around 1639 Richard Fairbanks’ Tavern in Boston, Massachusetts was assigned as the official store of mail by The General Court of Massachusetts (named by the King). Utilizing bars as mail drops was regular practice in England, and the settlers received this training also. Neighborhood specialists assigned by town agents and England worked post courses inside the provinces, some of which are still around today.
In 1673, Governor Francis Lovelace of New York set up a month to month mailing post between New York and Boston. The post rider’s trail wound up known as Old Boston Post Road, which is a piece of the present U.S. Highway 1. Old Post Road in North Attleborough, Massachusetts was a piece of this present rider’s trail and is viewed as perhaps the most established street in America.
In 1683, William Penn, author of Pennsylvania and a pioneer in the Quaker people group, built up its first mail station. Slaves or private errand people conveyed interchanges starting with one estate then onto the next.
In particular, Thomas Neale got a twenty-one year award in 1691 from the British Crown to start a North American postal help. Neale had never laid foot on North American soil, so he delegated then Governor Andrew Hamilton of New Jersey as his Deputy Postmaster General. Neale’s establishment cost him just 80 pennies per year. In 1699, he doled out his interests in America over to Andrew Hamilton and R. West. Neale passed on intensely paying off debtors because of this undertaking.
By 1707, the British Government had obtained the rights toward the North American postal assistance from the widow of Andrew Hamilton and R. West. The administration at that point designated Andrew Hamilton’s child, Andrew, as Deputy Postmaster General of America. He served until 1721 when he was prevailing by John Lloyd of Charleston, South Carolina.
In 1730, Alexander Spotswood, a previous lieutenant legislative head of Virginia, progressed toward becoming Deputy Postmaster General for America. After seven years, Spotswood delegated Benjamin Franklin as postmaster of Philadelphia. In 1753, Bejamin Franklin and William Hunter who was postmaster of Williamsburg, Virginia, were selected by the British Crown as Joint Postmasters for the provinces. Upon Hunter’s demise in 1761, a man by the name of John Foxcroft of New York succeeded him, serving until the flare-up of the Revolutionary War.